Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Week of September 11th

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 11TH




Good news, everyone... we have new disks added and tested! We now have enough space to get some new movies and shows (I've been holding back a bit until now). Depending on how my encrypted backup tests go, we may have an additional 6TB for adding content. For reference, ChrisFlix(tm) currently uses up about 10TB of space.  

So what do I mean by encrypted backups?  Basically the entire ChrisFlix library will have a clone in the "cloud", available to be re-downloaded immediately in the event of a disaster (major disk failure, hack, hardware failure, fire, etc). It may take me a while to recover from whatever that disaster may be, but once on the air again, I would be able to re-acquire the entire ChrisFlix library in under a day. The usual issue with doing this in this kind of content is that your cloud storage provider will often tap you on the shoulder and kindly ask you to move your illicit content elsewhere. Fortunately I will be able to encrypt the entire library with a 256-bit key that will be stored offsite. They can't ask me to move it, if they can't tell what it is without about 3-4 days worth of compute time on a super-cluster. Truthfully, the cloud providers don't really care what I upload, but if the movie industry asks them to scan ALL of their data for a movie, they'll do it and they'll kick off anyone with the content they are scanning for. With the data encrypted, my cloud storage provider is happy, and I'm happy.  
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) - After the re-emergence of the world's first mutant, world-destroyer Apocalypse, the X-Men must unite to defeat his extinction level plan.

Chris' Note:  Rounding out the new (and better) X-Men trilogy, Apocalypse features two of my favorite Marvel villains: Magneto and Apocalypse.  Unfortunately, the story falls a bit short, but it does feature many of the characters fans thought were missing from the first two.  In general, I prefer X-Men Days of Future Past, and either way I would recommend watching Apocalypse last. 







Free State of Jones (2016) - True Civil War era story about a white Southerner who falls for a slave and consequently rebels against the Confederacy.

Chris' Note:  Alright, alright, alright. I heard you like rebellions, so I put a rebellion inside your rebellion. 




For the Kids:

Voltron: Legendary Defender (2016) - Five teenagers fight evil to save the universe in those five robotic lions uniting to form Voltron.

Chris' Note:  The remake of Voltron on Netflix is great, and takes me back to the days of watching it after elementary school. I love the heroic themes, and the mix of sci-fi with fantasy. It also teaches the virtues of teamwork.





No comments:

Post a Comment